Thursday, October 15, 2009

CI #29 -- Foamhenge


Yep, you guessed it. It's a full-sized replica of Stonehenge made entirely out of styrofoam. Foamhenge remains the only Stonehenge replica in the U.S. with that size distinction -- so the fact that it's made out of foam is really just gravy. Everybody wins.

Located in Natural Bridge, Virginia, Foamhenge is the perfect place to visit after realizing what a ripoff THE Natural Bridge is. "Eighteen bucks to see a rock formation?! It's not like you built the damn thing. Virginia is for assholes."

Foamhenge, on the other hand, is free. (It's not really a tourist trap if it doesn't cost money, right?). You seriously should stop here. It was the highlight of a recent trip from D.C. to Roanoke. The place is funny and odd and mindboggling and pointless and funny again.

I have to admit that while I was walking the grounds, I did find myself thinking "How was this made?" and then I realized "Oh yeah, we know. In a shop by "4-5 Mexicans [fact-checking needed] and one crazy white man. It says it right there."

"Do we need a full-size replica of Stonehenge made out of foam?" No, of course not. I don't know that we needed, per se, the original. We "need" it like I "need" a pen that also dispenses guacamole -- I can get by without it, but I don't want to. And (full-size replica?) Merlin certainly doesn't want to either.

1 comment:

  1. Do you, by chance, know where I could purchase a pen that dispenses guacamole? I'm thinking ahead towards Christmas for you.

    ReplyDelete