Wednesday, October 21, 2009

CI #31 -- 10-year High School Reunion

After much deliberating, equivocating, hemming (but not so much hawing, oddly), and Facebooking, Katie and I decided to attend our high school reunions, which happened to be the same night this past weekend, at the same time, 40 minutes apart.

It was hectic, but a lot of fun. I drank more than I should have, went to Waffle House at 2 a.m., found myself worried about being left out of group activities. In other words, it was just like high school.

(My high school, boasting as many windows as most federal prisons!)

Most everyone seemed to be doing pretty well and looked pretty much the same. The people who have really let themselves go don't show up. ("Hey, look at this sweet gut I picked up over the past decade!")

Suffice it to say I'm small-talked out. If I see you this week, please be prepared to carry the conversation. As always, the inevitable lead question at the reunion was "What have you been up to?"

Here's how many exchanges went. [Ed. note: Some words were actually spoken. Some were spoken in my head.]

ME: Oh, you have three kids under the age of 6, work in a cubicle selling insurance, and live in a subdivision sandwiched between strip malls? ... That must suck.

NOT ME: Oh, you're not married, currently unemployed, and live in an apartment with no windows in the living room? ... That must suck.

To each his own. I'm fine with mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment