Thursday, February 18, 2010

CI #68 -- Reggae on vacation


Even though I'm no longer in college and long ago realized that basically all reggae was the same, I still enjoy a little reggae on vacation. I think a lot of people do.

And I'll say it -- I even enjoy some reggae while NOT on vacation. Back to vacation though: in Mexico, Mr. Marley and friends were in heavy rotation, and no one was complaining. We were living, walking Corona ads.

Something about having the best time of my life -- beer in hand, feet up, staring at beautiful blue water -- got me thinking, what is it about reggae that makes it so pleasurable on vacation?

Is it because we know that people suffered for hundreds of years to bring us the sweet sounds of melodies pure and true or despite it? Reggae's ingredients? 10% syncopation, 78% ganja, and 12% oppression.

Consider the following playlist excerpt:

- Burnin' and lootin', Bob Marley
- (007) Shanty Town, Desmond Dekker
- Pressure Drop, Toots and the Maytals


Though the Mexican Yucatan is not Kingston, Jamaica, they do have one thing in common beside beaches -- poverty. So the formula still works.

It makes you stop and think for a second, just long enough to realize that you need another beer. I'm not saying I'm going to stop bobbing my head to "Trenchtown Rock" with a Red Stripe (or Sol, respectively) in my hand, but I will pour an extra one out next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment